Sunday, December 2, 2007

A Chance To Give

“Tis the season to be jolly. ‘Tis the season to give. This year, I’m jolly because I gave.

I’ve spent my entire working life being less charitable than what might be expected by most standards. A large part for my hesitation to give my fare share has been the questionable allocation of what portion would actually end up benefiting the needy. A larger part has to do with the increasing pressure of employers to fill up the gravy boat of one organization or other. We were given many different choices for those tax-deductible dollars through payroll subtractions. Or we could give a one-time out-of-pocket contribution.

Corporate directives to give a percentage of my earnings to those less fortunate was aggressively promoted by requiring employees to attend a seminar with representatives from charities soft-selling their chances of garnishing each of our dollars and cents. Lavish videos, pamphlets and individual testimonies greeting a seasonal charity drive. I always had the impression that a primary goal of the company was to demonstrate how much their contributions benefited the community. I perceived it was more for public relations than any other reason.

Most of these presentations displayed scenes of how moneys are applied to solve illnesses of children that are casualties of life-threatening diseases. Pictures of well-fed, healthy-looking victims of human frailties were less effective than what have been otherwise. Before and after pictures would seem appropriate to pull on the heartstrings of givers.

If companies were to put the same effort of influencing employee involvement for charitable donations to promote the long-term benefits of participating in retirement accounts, where many companies contribute a percentage of matching funds, there would be more people seeing their futures more financially secure, thus more prone to share with others.

I also looked at how many organizations have top-heavy executive salaries and wondered how much I was giving to benefit their professed humanitarianism. I am not suggesting that all organizations are shy on properly dedicating funds to the poor and infirm, but I still doubt some of their distribution processes.

Many employees were just pleased to have an hour or two away from their desks. Some seemed to purposely ask questions of dubious intent just to stay away from the drudges of daily routines. Regardless, in a sales position management still had expectations that everyone attain their hourly quotas.

Although I grew up in Michigan where unions dominated the benefits and salaries of autoworkers, I eventually withdrew my membership in a local chapter because right-to-laws in Florida dilute the effectiveness of representation. I felt guilty for abandonment but was able to redirect some of those dollars toward charities of choice.

I have to admit that supervisors who brow-beated our psyches when we failed to meet their sales expectations were generous in their involvement of community alliances that gave refuge to the homeless and women in half-ways houses because of abusive mates. I felt this was a worthwhile opportunity to make an immediate difference for people going through a low point in their lives. I may have been dealing with an angry customer at the time when the envelopes were passed from desk to desk, I gladly pulled out my wallet to share in the pride these managers displayed for their efforts.

This past summers I assisted a friend with multiple handicaps with transportation to various destinations. I had quite often read or heard about Habitat for Humanity. My friend directed me to the location at 2035 Broad Street, where he has made frequent donations. I was quite impressed with the staff and the variety of items. The venture also introduced me to an area in Hernando County that I wasn’t familiar with. The experience was so positive that I barely grimaced when a moment of indiscretion and poor judgment gave me a traffic citation. The officer was pleasant and offered to let me view a replay of my violation. I knew I was guilty and declined the invitation.

Keeping all this in mind, when I was out a couple weeks ago doing a bit of Christmas shopping, I happened upon a sofa to replace the one that had been in my home for 12 years. It came as an afterthought of selecting a piece of furniture for a relative. The reasonable price offered an limited-time interest-free payment plan for both items.

Although I’m not an impulsive buyer, it took me little time to identify how I could best “get rid” of the old couch. I wasn’t heeding the concerns an aunt has that by having a garage sail I’m inviting shady people from casing the home. I quickly calculated items that have repeatedly floated through my mind that could be given to a charity.

I contacted Humanity to verify they would pick up the sofa, assuring them it was in suitable condition. I took the opportunity to sift through closets and drawers to accumulate slacks, jeans, T-shirts, casual shirts, dress shirts, all of which were taking up space, some of which could no longer accommodate my spreading, middle-age midriff bulge. I also gathered together a few books, shoes that still have plenty of wear left in them, pots and pans and a few other assorted items. I washed some of the clothes and polished the shoes. Everything was in good condition, sure to be of value to someone.

On my initial visit, I had noticed the limited selection of videos, compact discs and DVD movies. I knew they would be of interest to many, sure to be fast movers.

Perhaps it is their general policy, but I appreciated the call to give thanks for my thankful giving. I assured them that I will keep them in mind for future donations.

I have one regret, call it guilt. Just a few months ago Hernando-Pasco Hospice fulfilled my friend’s medical needs. In hindsight, I contacted their local office and was informed that they have a thrift store in New Port Richey that other than cash contributions they gladly accept many donations if delivered. I’ll catch ‘em next time.

If my act of giving to a charitable organization suggests a personable payback as tax-deductible, my current status prohibits the itemization on that 1040 IRS form.

I can specifically attribute these donations to the selfless, less intrusive atmosphere in Hernando County. Two and a half years of residency has not diminished my appreciation for the quaint, small-town character of my new community. It gives me cause for many thanks.

No comments: