Friday, December 21, 2007

Hello, my friend

Those are special words. They’re personal, to the point and, accompanied with a handshake and a smile, the sincerity is evident. The greeting brings a smile to my face yet I can’t seem to reply in the same manner. My reaction consists of a firm handshake and something like, It’s good to see you, or How are you doin’?, followed by addressing the friend by name.

You see, it’s just not the typical way us native-born Americans present ourselves. Sure, a handshake or a hug might be in order, although a simple nod of acknowledgement is often enough to satisfy a somewhat distant relationship and doesn’t necessarily suggest a liking of the person.

That out-of-the-ordinary greeting comes from those of Hispanic or Latino descent.

[I don't understand the difference of Hispanic and Latino, not that it’s important to me. I know there are different dialects to consider and each of them may resent being referred as the other. I mean no disrespect.]

Adult males tend to accept a person as a friend in the making. The initial introduction sets the tone of acceptance and camaraderie. The tone is usually dependent on us English speaking people being patient of the accent of the other person. Unless it’s forced on us, many of us lack the patience to deal with anyone outside our segment of culture. Within our own country, there can be an impatient, disrespectful attitude toward certain other regional accents or classes of people.

It’s usually by chance I might be introduced to a Hispanic person and approach them in the same way I make a judgment of character of anyone. Otherwise, I would be biased and a bigot. I place judgment on my own demeanor as I do of others, although there are times when I become aware of my actions after the fact. I’m human and, at times, reflect poorly on myself; there are always I can improve my social conduct.

With the bits and pieces I actually learned from Spanish classes, I make an honest attempt to slip a word in there and there. I call it “Gringo Español”. Quite often it’s embarrassing when a response brings a flow of words and sentences that I can’t possibly piece together. That’s when I give a chuckle and slowly explain “Hable un poco Español”, which may not be quite grammatically correct but a good-humored acknowledgment makes the attempt worthwhile. At the least, the other person appreciates the effort. That alone can setup an understanding of character, which in turn can lead to those words I cherish, “Hello, my friend.”

If only I felt comfortable responding with “Hola, mi amigo.” Now that I have proposed a personal challenge, it is my goal to do it.


PARCEL POST 2008 @ www.parcelpost08.blogspot.com A New Year. A New Blog.

No comments: